Established in 1985, the College of Education Distinguished Alumni Awards provides an avenue of honoring graduates of the college who have distinguished themselves through scholarly, creative and humanitarian achievement and service to their profession.
The annual Distinguished Alumni Awards can be given in the following categories:
- Business and Industry
- Recognizes alumni employed in business and industry who have improved the educational quality within their community
- Government and Community Service
- Awarded to alumni who are involved in government and/or community service who improve education in their community through enhancing the capacity of the educational system
- Bestowed upon alumni who, through sustained contributions in public service or work towards advancement in international education, demonstrate a commitment to building a better world
- K-12 Education
- Awarded to alumni who have at least 10 years of experience in Pre-K – 12 education who have been recognized for their teaching ability, service, and/or contributions to students, colleagues, the school community, the education profession and/or the community at large
- Postsecondary Systems (Community College Setting and University Setting)
- Recognizes alumni who currently hold or have held teaching or leadership positions within a local, state or national professional educational organization; a post-secondary educational institution; or educational policy-making/review board, and have publications that reflect scholarship, research or advancement of the profession
- Sport Management & Physical Education
- Awarded to alumni who have distinguished themselves in the field of sport management or physical education
- Lifetime Achievement
- Recognizes alumni in any area who have demonstrated a strong commitment to life-long learning and enhancing the professional growth of themselves and others; and who have the respect of peers and significant service contributions to their field
The Trailblazer Award
The Trailblazer Award was established in 2018 to recognize alumni who have graduated in the last 10 years and who have had significant impact within their profession, contributed to their community, and show promise of continued success.
Each year, recipients of Distinguished Alumni and Trailblazer awards are nominated by their peers and selected by an esteemed committee of College of Education alumni. In front of family and friends, award recipients are honored by the College of Education dean, administrative leadership members, faculty, and fellow alumni at an awards dinner held during Homecoming festivities in the fall.
Award recipients are selected by an esteemed committee of College of Education alumni. When the selection process is complete, nominees and nominators are notified of the results. Once all award recipients are contacted, the results will be posted online.
The nomination window for the 2020 Distinguished Alumni Awards and the Trailblazer Awards is March 16 – April 17, 2020.
View the event program below:
For more information about alumni awards at the College of Education, contact:
Office of Development
1100 Stone Building
1114 W. Call Street
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4450
Nomination Process: Distinguished Alumni Awards
- All nominees MUST be graduates of the Florida State University College of Education.
- Nominators can complete their nomination online or by mail (see information below).
- Nominators should be prepared to submit the following information:
- Names and contact information of both nominating and nominated persons
- Statement of nomination of 150 words or less that explains why the nominator feels the person is a qualified candidate
- Current curriculum vita or resume of nominee
- Three references and their contact information and at least one letter of reference.
- Any documentation further supporting nominee’s accomplishments and qualifications for the award (other letters of support, announcement of other recognitions, news articles, etc.)
Click here to submit a nomination for a Distinguished Alumni Award.